I've just created a brand new instance of Gitlab v.14.
I need to import all my projects (more than 100) from the old gitlab 11 to the new gitlab 14.
Do you have any suggestion or experience?
I've just created a brand new instance of Gitlab v.14.
I need to import all my projects (more than 100) from the old gitlab 11 to the new gitlab 14.
Do you have any suggestion or experience?
GitLab 14.x cannot import projects exported by GitLab 11.x (see version compatibility requirements.) Though you don't necessarily need to export your projects to import them to GitLab (as I'll suggest below).
Ideally, you should follow the upgrade path then migrate the two instances as a whole.
But if you must do this by creating a new GitLab instance without being on the same version, there might be a few ways to do this.
If you upgrade your original GitLab instance to at least version 13.7, you can use the group migration tool.
If you can't upgrade your original instance, the easier way to import your projects is to have both instances running and import projects by URL. You don't need to export each project first.
If you have GitLab Premium or Ultimate, you can use import automation.
Regarding projects, GitLab 15.0 (May 2022) allows for a more complete import
Migration support for project releases milestones
We continue to add support for more release metadata to GitLab migration.
In GitLab 15.0, we’ve added project releases milestone.
This metadata will help you migrate more of the release data without needing to manually copy over missing release attributes.See Documentation and Issue.
That will apply to your next migration (from your current instance to a new GitLab 15 one).