During the course of the work day I have field techs out and about and they'll occasionally need to add a MAC address to our Wireless Access group in AD. We don't fully support them getting into AD on their own and we've been using a script to allow them to add MAC addresses the right way. I have taken it upon myself to fully idiot-proof this thing and i'm nearly there minus one glaring issue. I can't stop them from adding MAC addresses with values greater than 'f'.
Write-Host "MAC Address must be entered as lowercase and without colons. EX: 14d6aa6ac9be" -ForegroundColor Yellow
$MACUserName = Read-Host -Prompt 'Please Input the MAC Address of the Device to be added to AD and press Enter'
$MACUserName = $MACUserName -replace '[\W]', ''
If ($MACUserName.Length -ne 12 -or $MACUserName -notmatch '[A-Za-z0-9]') {
Write-Host "MAC Address: " -ForegroundColor Red -NoNewline; Write-Host $MACUserName -ForegroundColor White -NoNewline; Write-Host " is not the correct length or contains invalid characters. Please verify MAC address" -ForegroundColor Red
Pause
Single-Device}
This is where i'm at with everything so far, obviously there is much more to this than just this section but for now this is where i live.
I'm able to get rid of any colons that might be entered in and my -notmatch section includes all possible values.
if i change -notmatch '[A-Za-z0-9]' to -notmatch '[A-Fa-f0-9]' It still lets me add fake MAC addresses with z's and whatnot. How do I go about limiting the characters this section will accept?