Custom functions intermittently hang with "Error - Loading Data"

Viewed 1353

I have a Google Apps Script custom function, very simple:

function sharesBurned(sharesToSell) {     
  return "tree"
}

Obviously, this works when I test it in Apps Script. In my sheet, when I call it in a cell, sharesBurned(2), for instance, it sometimes returns "Loading", and in the upper right hand corner of the cell, a red triangular sign appears that, when hovered over, reads: "Error - Loading data...".

I know there have been several threads on this, but they are pretty old, and I've tried all the suggestions already to no avail, namely:

  • Changing the function name
  • Refreshing the spreadsheet
  • Toggling Parameter Cell
  • Duplicating the spreadsheet
  • Clearing Browser cache / cookies

To be clear, the function loads in the cell seamlessly half the time and the other half is stuck like this. I highly doubt it's an issue with the script itself so this is likely some weird bug (caching? no clue) with Google Sheets.

1 Answers
Related