I have a big Google Apps Script project working on Google Spreadsheets and I am trying to convert it to an office-js add-in that works on Excel Workbooks. I understand that it is good practice to put everything that will be calling excel specific functions (directly interacting with the workbook) into an Excel.run() function so it does a proper clean-up and no memory leaks occur. I also understand I should do context.sync() as little as possible to optimize performance.
Here are my questions, (I think some of them come from my incomplete grasp of how js works; these things GAS handled without me needing to question them) :
1a) When we put our block of code in
Excel.run(context => {
//code that does stuff with context;
context.sync();
});
where does the context come from? Is this equivalent to
Excel.run(()=> {
let context = new Excel.RequestContext;
//code that does stuff with context;
context.sync();
});
1b) Also, if context gets generated with every new function why would I ever return context.sync() and not just context.sync()?
- Is a new, second context generated in this case and what happens to it?
function handle_error(e){//second context generated in case of error
let context=New Excel.RequestContext;
context.workbook.load('name');
await context.sync();
some_logging_function(context.workbook.name, e);
}
function data_func(some_data: Non-Excel-Interface): Other-Non-Excel-Interface{
//manipulate data
//in case of error
handle_error(e);
//continue with data massaging
return altered_data;
}
Excel.run(context=>{ //first context
context.workbook.worksheets.getItem('Sheet1').getUsedRange().load('values');
context.sync();
let values = context.workbook.worksheets.getItem('Sheet1').getUsedRange().values;
let some_data: Non-Excel-Interface = {sheetName: 'Sheet1', data: values};
let new_vals = data_func(some_data);
context.workbook.worksheets.getItem('Sheet1').getUsedRange().values = new_vals.new_data;
context.sync();
});
- If I put my main code inside Excel.run, then pass and return
context: Excel.RequestContextandrange: Excel.Rangein other functions do I needExcel.run()in those functions, too? In other words, should the code inside functionsa()andb()be insideExcel.run()?
function a(rng: Excel.Range, values:string[][]):Excel.Range{
rng.values = values;
return rng;
}
function b(context: Excel.RequestContext): Excel.RequestContext{
context.workbook.load('name');//load name property, but don't context.sync()
return context;
}
Excel.run(async context=>{
context = b(context);
let rng = context.workbook.worksheets.getItem('Sheet1').getUsedRange();
rng.load('values');
await context.sync();//values property and workbook name property must be available now
rng = a(rng, [['aa', 'bb', 'cc']]);
await context.sync();//new values must be available now
console.log(context.workbook.name, rng.values);//should show the title of the workbook and the newly assigned values of the range
});
- Also, what is the advantage of asynchronous functions if I have to explicitly wait every time I need a value? I mean, if I am going to use
context.sync()sparingly, that means I use it only when I desperately need it, so it must always come withawait. So why not makecontext.sync()synchronous by default?