I want to populate an existing column with values that continually add onto the row above. This is easy in Excel, but I haven't figured out a good way to automate it in R.
If we had 2 columns in Excel, A and B, we want cell B2 to =B1+A2, and cell B3 would = B2+A3. How can I do this in R?
#example dataframe
df <- data.frame(A = 0:9, B = c(50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0))
#desired output
desired <- data.frame(A = 0:9, B = c("NA",51,53,56,60,65,71,78,86,95))
I tried using the lag() function, but it didn't give the correct output.
df <- df %>%
mutate(B = B + lag(A))
So I made a for loop that works, but I feel like there's a better solution.
for(i in 2:nrow(df)){
df$B[i] <- df$B[i-1] + df$A[i]
}
Eventually, I want to iterate this function over every n rows of the whole dataframe, essentially so the summation resets every n rows. (any tips on how to do that would be greatly appreciated!)