Set GitKraken to track a directory on a remote server as local repo

Viewed 294

I am using GitKraken to track a remote GitHub repo accessible via ssh and that works fine, but I want to switch the local repo that GitKraken tracks to the directory I currently use for development that is placed in a Linux server (also accessible via ssh). Apparently, there is no obvious way to do that, do you know a way? I'm open to use another Git GUI if Kraken doesn't allow this. Thanks for the help.

1 Answers

I am using GitKraken to track a remote GitHub repo accessible via ssh and that works fine

One thing to clarify here is that GitKraken cloned the GitHub repo as a local copy. It really only "tracks" the local clone. It then allows you to interact with the GitHub remote with specific commands like git push and git fetch.

If you want to also interact with a remote linux server that you have access to, you will need to set up a git server. Then you can add a remote to your repository in GitKraken that points to the linux server that you set up.

To understand this better, I suggest reading about so-called "remotes" in git.

Related