Tensorflow: Memory growth cannot differ between GPU devices | How to use multi-GPU with tensorflow

Viewed 1120

I am trying to run a keras code on a GPU node within a cluster. The GPU node has 4 GPUs per node. I made sure to have all 4 GPUs within the GPU node available for my use. I run the code below to let tensorflow use the GPU:

gpus = tf.config.experimental.list_physical_devices('GPU')
if gpus:
    try:
        for gpu in gpus:
            tf.config.experimental.set_memory_growth(gpu, True)
            logical_gpus = tf.config.list_logical_devices('GPU')
            print(len(gpus), "Physical GPUs,", len(logical_gpus), "Logical GPUs")
    except RuntimeError as e:
        print(e)
        

The 4 GPUs available get listed in the output. However, I got the following error when running the code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/BayesOptimization.py", line 20, in <module>
    logical_gpus = tf.config.experimental.list_logical_devices('GPU')
  File "/.conda/envs/thesis/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/config.py", line 439, in list_logical_devices
    return context.context().list_logical_devices(device_type=device_type)
  File "/.conda/envs/thesis/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tensorflow/python/eager/context.py", line 1368, in list_logical_devices
    self.ensure_initialized()
  File "/.conda/envs/thesis/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tensorflow/python/eager/context.py", line 511, in ensure_initialized
    config_str = self.config.SerializeToString()
  File "/.conda/envs/thesis/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tensorflow/python/eager/context.py", line 1015, in config
    gpu_options = self._compute_gpu_options()
  File "/.conda/envs/thesis/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tensorflow/python/eager/context.py", line 1074, in _compute_gpu_options
    raise ValueError("Memory growth cannot differ between GPU devices")
ValueError: Memory growth cannot differ between GPU devices

Shouldn't the code list all the available gpus and set memory growth to true for each one?

I am currently using tensorflow libraries and python 3.97:

tensorflow                2.4.1           gpu_py39h8236f22_0
tensorflow-base           2.4.1           gpu_py39h29c2da4_0
tensorflow-estimator      2.4.1              pyheb71bc4_0
tensorflow-gpu            2.4.1                h30adc30_0

Any idea what the problem is and how to solve it? Thanks in advance!

1 Answers

Try only: os.environ["CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES"]="0" instead of tf.config.experimental.set_memory_growth. This works for me.

Related