I'm trying to build an event exporter as a toy project. It has a watcher that gets informed by the Kubernetes API every time an event, and as a simple case, let's assume that it wants to store the event in a database or something.
Having just one running instance is probably susceptible to failures, so ideally I'd like two. In this situation, the naive implementation would both instances trying to store the event in the database so it'd be duplicated.
What strategies are there to de-duplicate? Do I have to do it at the database level (say, by using some sort of eventId or hash of the event content) and accept the extra database load or is there a way to de-duplicate at the instance level, maybe built into the Kubernetes client code? Or do I need to implement some sort of leader election?
I assume this is a pretty common problem. Is there a more general term for this issue that I can search on to learn more?
I looked at the code for GKE event exporter as a reference but I was unable to find any de-duplication, so I assume that it happens on the receiving end.