I want to securely create a user document onCreate that is in sync with the auth.user database in Firebase v9.
I think it wouldn't be secure to let a registered user create a user document. So I wrote a cloud function which triggers on functions.auth.user().onCreate() and creates a user document.
Problem:
I have the problem keeping them in sync as the onSnapshotmethod which should await for the user document to exists already returns a promise if the user document does not yet exists. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. So I don't know when I can update the by the cloud function created user document.
Question:
Why does the onSnapshot sometimes work and sometimes not. How can I fix it?
Here is a link to a helpful Article which seem to doesn't work in v9. Link
I tried and searched everywhere. I can't believe this is not a standard feature and still a requested topic. This seems so basic.
Error
error FirebaseError: No document to update: as const user = await createAccount(displayName, email, password); returns even if user is not yet in doc.data()
Sign Up function
interface SignUpFormValues {
email: string;
password: string;
confirm: string;
firstName: string;
lastName: string;
}
const createAccount = async (
displayName: string,
email: string,
password: string
) => {
// Create auth user
const userCredential = await createUserWithEmailAndPassword(
auth,
email,
password
);
// -> Signed in
// Update Profile
const user = userCredential.user;
const uid = user.uid;
await updateProfile(user, {
displayName: displayName,
});
// IMPORTANT: Force refresh regardless of token expiration
// auth.currentUser.getIdToken(true); // -> will stop the onSnapshot function from resolving properly
// Build a reference to their per-user document
const userDocRef = doc(db, "users", uid);
return new Promise((resolve, reject) => {
const unsubscribe = onSnapshot(userDocRef, {
next: (doc) => {
unsubscribe();
console.log("doc", doc); // -> returning undefined
console.log("doc.data()", doc.data()); // -> returning undefined
resolve(user); // -> returning undefined
},
error: (error) => {
unsubscribe();
console.log("error", error);
reject(error);
},
});
});
};
const handleSignUp = async (values: SignUpFormValues) => {
const { firstName, lastName, email, password } = values;
const displayName = `${firstName} ${lastName}`;
try {
setError("");
setLoading(true);
// Create user account
const user = await createAccount(displayName, email, password);
console.log("createAccount -> return:", user); // -> problem here sometimes return undefined
// Update user
const newUserData = {
displayName: displayName,
firstName,
lastName,
};
// Build a reference to their per-user document
const userDocRef = doc(db, "users", user.uid);
await updateDoc(userDocRef, newUserData);
// Send Email verification
await authSendEmailVerification(user);
// Logout
await logout();
navigate("/sign-up/email-verification", { state: values });
} catch (error: any) {
const errorCode = error.code;
const errorMessage = error.message;
console.log("error", error);
console.log("error", errorCode);
if (errorCode === "auth/email-already-in-use") {
const errorMessage =
"Failed to create an account. E-Mail address is already registered.";
setError(errorMessage);
console.log("error", errorMessage);
} else {
setError("Failed to create account.");
}
}
setLoading(false);
};
Cloud function which triggers the user onCreate
// On auth user create
export const authUserWriteListener = functions.auth
.user()
.onCreate(async (user, context) => {
console.log("user:", user);
const userRef = db.doc(`users/${user.uid}`);
await userRef.set({
email: user.email,
createdAt: context.timestamp,
firstTimeLogin: true,
});
return db.doc("stats/users").update({
totalDocsCount: FieldValue.increment(1),
});
});