In our webapp we have a number of places where you would be updating a number of tables in one complex form/view. In raw SQL I would probably select a bunch of columns from a bunch of tables and edit that one record on the primary table as well as related parent/child tables.
In hibernate I would probably just pull a JPA entity for the main table and let hibernate fetch the parent/child relationships as I populate the view. And then later pull from my view back to the entity and call entitymanger .perist/merge.
In JOOQ I have a number of options but it appears you can pull a main record via selectFrom/fetch then use fetchChild fetchParent to pull typed related records like so...
LoadsRecord load = dslContext.selectFrom(LOADS)
.where(LOADS.ID.eq(id))
.fetchOne();
SafetyInspectionsRecord safetyInspection = load.fetchParent(Keys.LOADS__FK_SAFETY_INSPECTION);
So this way I am able to pull related records in a typesafe manner. The only annoying thing is I have to run another full query every time I call fetchParent or fetchDhild. Is there a way to eagerly fetch these all at once to avoid multiple round trips to the DB?
It is really nice to have these classes like LoadsRecord for CRUD screens, it makes updating the DB easy.