Going back to a previous buffer in emacs

Viewed 157

I used C-x u and the screen I was typing on disappeared, so I tried creating again on the second question but it says that file already exists; how do go back to the one I created in the first question?

2 Answers

If you want to go back to the previous buffer, probably you could use Ctrl-X <left> keybinding. If you want to go back to previous window, you could try Ctrl-C <left>

There's a suite of options based on what you're trying to accomplish:

  1. Ctrl-x <left> jumps to your previous buffer, can be repeated to keep popping stack frames

  2. Ctrl-x b opens a prompt in the minibuffer. The default option is the prior buffer, but you can use <up>/<down> keys to browse the prior stack of buffers

  3. Ctrl-x Ctrl-b opens *Buffer List* where you can see all buffers and select the one you want

Related