When submitting jobs with sbatch, is a copy of my executable taken to the compute node? Or does it just execute the file from /home/user/? Sometimes when I am unorganised I will submit a job, then change the source and re-compile to submit another job. This does not seem like a good idea, especially if the job is still in the queue. At the same time it seems like it should be allowed, and it would be much safer if at the moment of calling sbatch a copy of the source was made.
I ran some tests which confirmed (unsurprisingly) that once a job is running, recompiling the source code has no effect. But when the job is in the queue, I am not sure. It is difficult to test.
edit: man sbatch does not seem to give much insight, other than to say that the job is submitted to the Slurm controller "immediately".