What keeps my "always free" account from being terminated?

Viewed 1832

I have a small website running on the "always free" tier. It's perfect for my needs. After my trial period ended (and I hadn't used any fee-based resoures), I reverted back to "always free." This is fine. This morning, I received an email which read, in part:

Your Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account.

but doesn't define the meaning of "actively use your account." I would just chat online with someone, but that's not available to me. I tried to use their community forums, but their login seems busted, so I landed here. (No offense, but I was under the impression this is mostly for development questions.)

Is having a website running sufficient to qualify as "active use?" Do I need to login to the console periodically? No matter the use, what constitutes "active?" For example, if I am required to login the the console periodically, how often to I have to do that? Weekly? Monthly?

1 Answers

Based on the "Inactivity Monitoring and Database Stoppage" sections of the documentation, Always Free account activity works like this:

Oracle Autonomous Database: "Successfully making a SQL*Net or HTTPS connection resets these measurements to zero"

APEX: "Successfully making a HTTPS connection resets these measurements to zero."

COMPUTE and others: Unknown - I can't find the relevant documentation

Per the documentation, you get 7 days before the resource is automatically stopped, and then 90 days before the resource is permanently deleted.

Based on my experience with the database, you get a warning email after 7 days, and then 2 days later the resource is stopped. You get a warning email about permanent deletion after 60 days, and luckily I don't have experience with how long it takes for a resource to be permanently deleted.

Related