As a Python programmer, I frequently declare classes similar to
class Foo:
def __init__(self, attr1, attr2, attr3, attr4, attr5, attr6, attr7, attr8, attr9):
self.attr1 = attr1
self.attr2 = attr2
...
self.attr9 = attr9
# init your class
The problem is that I do that over and over, and it feels very inefficient. In C++ the way to do this would be
class Foo {
public:
Foo(int, int, int, int, int);
private:
int attr1, attr2, attr3, attr4, attr5;
};
Foo::Foo(int attr1, int attr2, int attr3, int attr4, int attr5) :
attr1(attr1), attr2(attr2), attr3(attr3), attr4(attr4), attr5(attr5) {
// init your class
}
Which I feel like it's slightly more efficient. My question is: is there a standard way to avoid having to attribute the arguments to the class for every argument? I can think of ways to program it, for example
def attribute_setter(*arg_names):
def wrapper(func):
def setter_init(self, *args, **kwargs):
for i, name in enumerate(arg_names):
if i < len(args):
setattr(self, name, args[i])
elif name in kwargs:
setattr(self, name, kwargs[name])
func(self, *args, **kwargs)
return setter_init
return wrapper
class Foo:
@attribute_setter('attr1', 'attr2', 'attr3', 'attr4', 'attr5', 'attr6', 'attr7', 'attr8', 'attr9')
def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
# init your class
pass
Which yields
>>> foo = Foo(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, attr6=6, attr7=7, attr8=8, attr9=9)
>>> foo.attr1
1
>>> foo.attr9
9
With a lot more error handling, this decorator might become safe to use, but my concern is the readability of the code and making sure I'm not violating any good practice principle.