I have two pods (deployments) running on minikube. Each pod has the same port exposed (say 8081), but use different images. Now I want to configure so that I can access either of the pods using the same external URL, in a load balanced way. So what I tried to do is put same matching label in both pods and map them to same service and then expose through NodePort. Example:
#pod1.yaml
apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: dep1
labels:
apps: dep1
tier: cloud
spec:
template:
metadata:
name: dep1-pod
labels:
app: deployment1
spec:
containers:
- name: cont1
image: cont1
ports:
- containerPort: 8081
selector:
matchLabels:
app:deployment1
Now second pod
#pod2.yaml
apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: dep2
labels:
apps: dep2
tier: cloud
spec:
template:
metadata:
name: dep2-pod
labels:
app: deployment1
spec:
containers:
- name: cont2
image: cont2
ports:
- containerPort: 8081
selector:
matchLabels:
app:deployment1
Now the service:
#service.yaml
apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
metadata:
name: service1
spec:
type: NodePort
ports:
- port: 8081
targetPort: 8081
nodePort: 30169
selector:
app: deployment1
Now this does not work as intended as it refuses to connect to my IP:30169. However, I can connect if only one of the pods are deployed. Now I know I can achieve this functionality using replicas and just one image, but in this case, I want to do this using 2 images. Any help is much appreciated.