I have an existing project that uses project boards on GitHub. I want to move all issues (open and closed) to projects (beta) on GitHub. Is there a way to do that automatically? Right now, I only know how to add issues manually to projects (beta).
I have an existing project that uses project boards on GitHub. I want to move all issues (open and closed) to projects (beta) on GitHub. Is there a way to do that automatically? Right now, I only know how to add issues manually to projects (beta).
As far as I know, there is currently no official guide on how to migrate to GitHub Projects (beta). You might want to follow this discussion on the topic: https://github.com/github/feedback/discussions/6141
However, I created a tutorial on how to migrate from the legacy project boards to the new projects (beta) myself: https://github.com/galargh/projects-migration#how-to-migrate-from-github-projects-to-github-projects-beta
It describes how to migrate cards (including column names) by either running a GitHub Actions workflow or a bash script.
Unfortunately, it does require some manual steps because projects (beta) API is not complete yet - the project itself and the Status field options have to be created manually to be precise.
After the migration, I'm also heavily using this action I created https://github.com/protocol/github-api-action-library/tree/master/add-project-items-by-content-query. I use it to periodically populate my projects based on content search queries (e.g. I automated adding all the issues that mention me - https://github.com/galargh/.github/blob/684c316/.github/workflows/add-project-items.yml).
I implemented python script that helps you migrate your project (similar to @galargh's solution) which uses the GraphQL api for the old projects too (might be more future proof) and also allows you to map column names and migrate PRs.