Visual Studio 2019 SSIS package does not run when starting in IDE (only validates)

Viewed 699

When I run a package in Visual studio 2019, nothing appears to happen (only validation of all tasks). When I execute one task (right-click on a task, execute), it works fine.

Example:

I Created one simple task- script task. The script task contains one line only - messagebox.show("Working."). When I "Execute Task" (right-click on task, execute), it works (a message box pops up). When I "debug" the package (Debug/start debugging, or F5) nothing happens. Execution results show only validation.

Even two very simple basic expression tasks, ie no script tasks - if I place breakpoints on tasks (before/after execute on each) and start to debug, breakpoints don't fire. Execution results show only validation.

1 Answers

TargetServerVersion property

The first thing you should try is to change the package TargetServerVersion property to match the installed SQL Server version. Even if you are not using an Execute SQL Task or any other SQL component. This property may affect the whole package as mentioned in the screenshot below:

Specifies the version that is used to save, deploy, execute and debug packages in SSDTBI.

enter image description here

Package debugging properties

The second thing you should check is the package debug configuration. Make sure that the StartAction property is set to Execute Package. Also, if you are running the package in 64-bit mode, try to use the 32-bit mode.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Running in safe mode

The last thing to try is to start Visual Studio in safe mode, maybe a third-party extension is causing this behavior. You can use the following command:

devenv /safemode
Related