How to make .exe file smaller and faster with pyinstaller (or any other tool)?

Viewed 894

I recently made a small desktop app with Tkinter and created a .exe file with pyinstaller (pyinstaller --onefile -w <file-name>) and had to change some things I was doing in the underlying code to make the .exe file smaller.

At the beginning I was using OpenCV to get some frame information from videos (an overkill, I know), which made the .exe file 400 MB in size, mostly because of the use of pandas. So I changed that to python-ffmpeg. This changed a lot and made the file 16MB. But this is still too big compared to other big program exe files, and takes a couple of seconds to start. I'm working with a conda environment that I created only with Python, and other packages/modules I installed in it are XlsxWriter and docx.

1 Answers

You can reduce the file size for pyinstaller by creating the build in a separate virtual environment.

Execute python -m venv demo_env in your cmd to create a new virtual environment.

After that, install all the packages you need for your script, including pyinstaller.

Once you installed everything again, build the exe as before.

Related