I'm Simone and I want to start this thread giving thanks to this community for the totally useful help you give to developers (in my case). I found all the answer to my questions here, but now i would need to ask something explicitely.
I'm testing a custom hook with react-testing-library.
What you need to know about the hook is that is a simple hook that basically do this:
function useHook() {
const [state, setState] = useState();
const fetch = async () => {
const response = await httpCall();
if (instanceof response !== Error) {
setState("GOOD")
} else {
setState("BAD")
}
}
return { state, fetch }
}
and my test file is something like this:
it("test", async () => {
const { result, waitForNextUpdate } = renderHooks(() => useHook())
await result.current.fetch();
expect(result.current.state).toBe(undefined)
await waitForNextUpdate();
expect(result.current.state).toBe("GOOD") //or at least "BAD"
})
I wrote this because I called the async function fetch() that should trigger the setState, I assert that no rerender has been occurred yet, and then I waitForNextUpdate() in order to wait this rerender and I assert that the state returned by the hooks has now a value "GOOD" or "BAD".
My problem is that my test gives me an error: Timeout - Async callback was not invoked within the 5000 ms ..., and this error occurred when the test waits for the waitForNextUpdate().
I don't know what's wrong with my test. I'm sure (because i tested it) that the hook is working properly, the http call has been made. I know that checking values inside the test but also because the hook is working properly inside the application. I don't understand why it seems that the update of the state never occurres.
I'm the first one of my team who is testing with this tool so i'm quite lost. If you can help me i will be very grateful.
Thank you!