Why can't I deselect some packages in Buildroot, marked with -*-?

Viewed 84

When I navigate through the Buildroot setup with make menuconfig (I'm using version 2021.11.x) I see some options that are marked -*- and cannot be deselected.

For example, under Target Packages -> Networking applications, cups is marked -*- but I would like to deselect it.

I tried editing the .config manually (probably not advisable?). Even after commenting out BR2_PACKAGE_CUPS=y it still shows cups marked -*- in menuconfig

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

1 Answers

As mentioned in the comment to my question

That means that the option is a required dependency of some other option that you have selected. I think that if you press 'H' with the cursor on the option, it will tell you what that other option is.

H shows all the info you need about a package and showed me which package depends on cups. In my case, since I manually selected openjdk, cups was autoselected (and could not be deselected) because openjdk depends on cups.

Related