Handling remote (RDP) mouse clicking via Python

Viewed 358

I am using pyautogui to automate some mouse clicking in a script that I created.

This script needs to perform one click to log into a program, nothing else (besides other non-clicking stuff). The idea is that the script will run on a remote Win10 PC via a task scheduler every day at, lets say, at 11PM.

My script works perfectly when run on my own PC but I am running into issues with how to handle the remote RDP resolution to correctly identify the mouse position to click. Furthermore, the script will run on a remote PC that might not have "active user" logged in and I am not even sure if this mouse clicking approach will work. How to identify correctly the "resolution" of the remote PC?

Could you help me?

Thanks.

1 Answers

Pyautogui can be used to interact with remote system the same way a human can by opening the RDP or VNC window identifying elements inside of it and then directly interacting with them. This works but you're now expecting two systems to be in sufficiently consistent state for the automation to work. This does have the advantage that you don't need to know the resolution of the remote system just what the interactable elements look like when rendered through the RDP client on your system.

Related