Following Michael Caisse's cppcon talk I created a connection handler MyUserConnection which has a sendMessage method. sendMessage method adds a message to the queue similarly to the send() in the cppcon talk. My sendMessage method is called from multiple threads outside of the connection handler in high intervals. The messages must be enqueued chronologically.
When I run my code with only one Asio io_service::run call (aka one io_service thread) it async_write's and empties my queue as expected (FIFO), however, the problem occurs when there are, for example, 4 io_service::run calls, then the queue is not filled or the send calls are not called chronologically.
class MyUserConnection : public std::enable_shared_from_this<MyUserConnection> {
public:
MyUserConnection(asio::io_service& io_service, SslSocket socket) :
service_(io_service),
socket_(std::move(socket)),
strand_(io_service) {
}
void sendMessage(std::string msg) {
auto self(shared_from_this());
service_.post(strand_.wrap([self, msg]() {
self->queueMessage(msg);
}));
}
private:
void queueMessage(const std::string& msg) {
bool writeInProgress = !sendPacketQueue_.empty();
sendPacketQueue_.push_back(msg);
if (!writeInProgress) {
startPacketSend();
}
}
void startPacketSend() {
auto self(shared_from_this());
asio::async_write(socket_,
asio::buffer(sendPacketQueue_.front().data(), sendPacketQueue_.front().length()),
strand_.wrap([self](const std::error_code& ec, std::size_t /*n*/) {
self->packetSendDone(ec);
}));
}
void packetSendDone(const std::error_code& ec) {
if (!ec) {
sendPacketQueue_.pop_front();
if (!sendPacketQueue_.empty()) { startPacketSend(); }
} else {
// end(); // My end call
}
}
asio::io_service& service_;
SslSocket socket_;
asio::io_service::strand strand_;
std::deque<std::string> sendPacketQueue_;
};
I'm quite sure that I misinterpreted the strand and io_service::post when running the connection handler on multithreaded io_service. I'm also quite sure that the messages are not enqueued chronologically instead of messages not being async_write chronologically. How to ensure that the messages will be enqueued in chronological order in sendMessage call on multithreaded io_service?
