I am trying to implement an OBO flow through to the graph API on a middle-tier API (.NET 5.0) using MSAL.NET. I'm running into two frustrating problems, and I can't find anyone having similar problems, so I think I'm misunderstanding something!
Problem 1: Whenever I call MSAL's GetAccountAsync, it always returns null when there should be an account loaded.
Problem 2: Whenever I call MSAL's AcquireTokenSilent, I always get the error "No refresh token found in the cache." even though I got one.
Here's what I have:
Once the web app authenticates, it passes through the token to a graph auth endpoint on the API:
var authenticationResult = await ClaimHelper.ClientApplication.AcquireTokenByAuthorizationCode(GraphHelpers.BasicGraphScopes, context.Code).ExecuteAsync();
var apiUserSession = await CouncilWiseAPIHelper.APIClient.Graph.AuthoriseUserAsync(authenticationResult.AccessToken);
which seems to work fine, and passes through a JWT to the API auth endpoint. The API implements an MSAL Confidential Client application and uses the SetBeforeAccess/SetAfterAccess token cache methods to save the cache to a database.
_msalClient = ConfidentialClientApplicationBuilder.Create(_graphConfig.ClientId)
.WithAuthority(AadAuthorityAudience.AzureAdMultipleOrgs)
.WithClientSecret(_graphConfig.ClientSecret)
.Build();
SetSerialiser(serialiser);
public void SetSerialiser(MSALTokenCacheSerialiser serialiser)
{
_msalClient.UserTokenCache.SetBeforeAccessAsync(serialiser.BeforeAccessCallbackAsync);
_msalClient.UserTokenCache.SetAfterAccessAsync(serialiser.AfterAccessCallbackAsync);
}
And the serialiser methods look like this:
public async Task BeforeAccessCallbackAsync(TokenCacheNotificationArgs notification)
{
GraphUserTokenCache tokenCache = await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.GetByUserIdentifier(notification.SuggestedCacheKey);
if (tokenCache == null)
{
tokenCache = await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.Get(notification.SuggestedCacheKey);
}
if (tokenCache != null)
{
notification.TokenCache.DeserializeMsalV3(tokenCache.Value);
}
}
public async Task AfterAccessCallbackAsync(TokenCacheNotificationArgs notification)
{
if (!notification.HasTokens)
{
// Delete from the cache
await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.Delete(notification.SuggestedCacheKey);
}
if (!notification.HasStateChanged)
{
return;
}
GraphUserTokenCache tokenCache;
if (notification.SuggestedCacheKey == notification.Account.HomeAccountId.Identifier)
{
tokenCache = await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.GetByUserIdentifier(notification.SuggestedCacheKey);
}
else
{
tokenCache = await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.Get(notification.SuggestedCacheKey);
}
if (tokenCache == null)
{
var cache = notification.TokenCache.SerializeMsalV3();
tokenCache = new GraphUserTokenCache
{
Id = notification.SuggestedCacheKey,
AccountIdentifier = notification.Account.HomeAccountId.ToString(),
Value = cache
};
await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.Add(tokenCache);
}
else
{
await _graphUserTokenCacheRepository.Update(tokenCache.Id, notification.TokenCache.SerializeMsalV3());
}
}
I can see the token BeforeAccess and AfterAccess methods being called, and I can see the caches being created in the database (encryption has been removed while I'm trying to track down this issue). If I inspect the serialised token cache being saved, it NEVER has a refresh token populated, but if I inspect the requests with fiddler I can see a refresh token was indeed provided. Finally, here is the code for retrieving the access token which is called whenever a graph request is made:
public async Task<AuthenticationResult> GetAccessToken(string accountId, string jwtBearerToken)
{
try
{
IAccount account = null;
if (accountId.IsNotNullOrEmpty())
{
account = await _msalClient.GetAccountAsync(accountId);
}
var scope = _graphConfig.Scopes.Split(' ');
if (account == null)
{
var result = await _msalClient.AcquireTokenOnBehalfOf(scope,
new UserAssertion(jwtBearerToken))
.ExecuteAsync();
return result;
}
else
{
var result = await _msalClient.AcquireTokenSilent(scope, account)
.ExecuteAsync();
return result;
}
}
catch (MsalClientException ex)
{
ex.CwApiLog();
return null;
}
catch(Exception ex)
{
ex.CwApiLog();
return null;
}
}
When it's called with the jwtBearerToken, it will successfully call AcquireTokenOnBehalfOf() and the token is cached and a result returned, but when I come back to retrieve the account via GetAccountAsync() it always returns null even though I can see the token cache was loaded in BeforeAccessCallbackAsync().
Also, even if I call AcquireTokenSilent() immediately after acquiring the obo token with the account it just returned, I will get an exception saying there is no refresh token in the cache.
I am totally lost on what I'm doing wrong here, any help would be greatly appreciated.