How to enable jupyter extension without admin by appropriate way of calling subcommand

Viewed 122

this question is a representative one for a bunch of questions related to the execution of subcommand of "jupyter" command in Windows.

As I could not get the Admin to install jupyter, I have used pip install notebook --user in cmd, and it is not accessible to add jupyter to PATH as well. When using cmd calling "jupyter" or "notebook" would get me "jupyter/notebook is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file", so the only way I could call a notebook is by python -m notebook, and a python -m jupyter would get me the usage of this command, like --help, --version or so.

However, sometimes I might need to add subcommand to jupyter, like jupyter contrib nbextension install, but since jupyter is not in the PATH, calling this command directly would give "not recognized" error. Still, it is also not feasible for this command: python -m jupyter contrib nbextension install, as it would give me "Jupyter command 'jupyter-contrib' not found".

This issue has troubled me for a while, so I am looking for any help/advice. Perhaps there should be correct way to call subcommand of jupyter following python -m?

Great thanks.

1 Answers

This command works for me

jupyter labextension install @jupyterlab/github --app-dir dir_with_permission

Run in jupyter notebook

./jupyter labextension install @jupyterlab/github --app-dir dir_with_permission

If not, try which jupyter and see if you can use the full location

Related