I have a monorepo using yarn workspaces that has 2 Next.js projects.
apps
┣ app-1
┗ app-2
app-1 needs to import components from app-2. To do this, I add the app-2 project as a dependency and set the path in our app-1 tsconfig like so:
app-1 package.json
{
"name": "@apps/app-1",
"version": "0.1.0",
"private": true,
"dependencies": {
"@apps/app-2": "workspace:*",
}
}
app-1 tsconfig.json
{
"compilerOptions": {
"baseUrl": "./src",
"paths": {
"@apps/app-2/*": ["../../app-2/src/*"],
"@apps/app-2": ["../../app-2/src"]
}
}
}
This works just fine, however, the problem happens when a component in app-2 imports other components like import Component from "components/Component".
app-1 doesn't know how to resolve it and is looking for components/Components inside it's own src folder which does not exist. If that same component imported like this import Component from ../../Component it would resolve properly. To fix this, I set another path inside of app-1's tsconfig file to manually resolve. Now my tsconfig looks like
app-1 tsconfig
{
"compilerOptions": {
"baseUrl": "./src",
"paths": {
"components/*": ["../../app-2/src/components/*"], // new path resolves absolute urls from app-2
"@apps/app-2/*": ["../../app-2/src/*"],
"@apps/app-2": ["../../app-2/src"]
}
}
}
Without that line of text, trying to dev or build the app-1 project renders Type error: Cannot find module 'components/Component' or its corresponding type declarations. I don't want to manually resolve it this way because app-1 might want it's own components folder one day and would erroneously resolve to app-2's components folder.
It looks like a typescript issue based on the error, but I can't tell if maybe it has something to do with webpack/babel or from symlinks in our node_modules
The ideal solution is to change something with our config or loaders and have these path resolve as you'd expect.

