I'm trying to execute certain suspend function multiple times, in such a way that never more than N of these are being executed at the same time.
For those acquainted with Akka and Scala Streaming libraries, something like mapAsync.
I did my own implementation using one input channel (as in kotlin channels) and N output channels. But it seems cumbersome and not very efficient.
The code I'm currently using is somewhat like this:
val inChannel = Channel<T>()
val outChannels = (0..n).map{
Channel<T>()
}
launch{
var i = 0
for(t in inChannel){
outChannels[i].offer(t)
i = ((i+1)%n)
}
}
outChannels.forEach{outChannel ->
launch{
for(t in outChannel){
fn(t)
}
}
}
Of course it has error management and everything, but still...
Edit: I did the following test, and it failed.
test("Parallelism is correctly capped") {
val scope = CoroutineScope(Dispatchers.Default.limitedParallelism(3))
var num = 0
(1..100).map {
scope.launch {
num ++
println("started $it")
delay(Long.MAX_VALUE)
}
}
delay(500)
assertEquals(3,num)
}