Let's assume we have an enum, that represents searchable fields:
enum SearchableFields {
ALL,
FIELD1,
FIELD2,
FIELD3;
}
This enum is displayed via a (combobox) selection inside a GUI. At runtime, I want to evaluate the selection of this combobox and search accordingly.
Depending on the selection, I need to retrieve the fields to search from a POJO (example below) via a getter.
class FieldPojo {
private String field1;
private String field2;
private String field3;
...
public String getField1() {
return field1;
}
...
}
I currently use a switch statement to evaluate the selection of SelectableFields and to then retrieve the correct field(s) to search:
private String retrieveField(FieldPojo f) {
switch (selectedField) {
case ALL:
return retrieveAll(); // method that retrieves all available fields
case FIELD1:
return f.getField1();
...
}
This does work, however I feel like it's clunky.
Question:
Is there a more concise way to do this without evaluating the enum via a switch? (Java 8)