How to enable Intellisense for Python in VS Code but Disable Linting by Pylance?

Viewed 470

Related post

The above post asks how to disable linting in VS Code by Pylance. This proposed setting works:

"python.languageServer": "None"

But it also disables features like Intellisense and Go to Definition. I want to keep those features working and disable the automatic linting done by Pylance as I'm actively writing out code. It's very distracting.

Note that setting "python.linting.enabled": false doesn't work; Pylance still points out "problems" in code the moment I stop typing.

I also don't want to disable linting entirely, I just want to have more control over when my files are linted (like getting warnings after saving). I'm also using other programs like flake8 and bandit which provide the functionality I need and can be shut off until I'm ready to check my code.

Update:

I found a way to disable specific Pylance warnings by referencing this document in pylance-release. Setting a rule to none disables warnings for that rule. I added the following to my settings.json:

   "python.analysis.diagnosticSeverityOverrides": {
        "reportUnboundVariable": "none",
        "reportUndefinedVariable": "none",
        "reportMissingImports": "none",
        "reportMissingModuleSource": "none",
    }

I did not however find a way to disable syntax error warnings.

1 Answers

Open the command palette using Ctrl + Shift + P and type in linting. You should have 2 options1 It's pretty self explanatory from here.

Related