We have a CodePipeline that runs on every GitHub commit/merge to the main branch, building the application and releasing it to a staging environment where we can manually test the application. Every now and then, ad-hoc, weekly, etc, depending on the project, we'd release to production manually. To implement this I added a ManualApprovalStep to my CodePipeline between staging and production but that means that my pipeline is never green. It's always stuck in blue:
This makes me think that I'm using the wrong tool here.
My mental model is coming from Heroku (ignore the review apps, I'm not tackling that challenge yet):
In Heroku there's a Tests tab that's green if the tests pass and there's a pipeline that's green if it gets deployed to staging. Lack of promotion to production in Heroku is not a non-green state in Heroku but it would be in ManualApprovalStep.
Is there another tool that AWS gives me to model this way of working that I'm missing?
Update: another big difference. The ManualApprovalStep seems to pile each change and releasing each change, one by one, not releasing whatever was the last release to staging, so clearly it's not analogous to the release to production that Heroku has.


