ActiveMQ Artemis data journal folder

Viewed 211

I am trying to understand how ActiveMQ Artemis manages the journal files (under data/journal) and when it creates new ones. I read the documentation, but it wasn't clear how the files are create. I have a broker.xml has simple settings (won't be able to share unfortunately). Here are a few:

  • journal min threads - 2
  • journal pool size - 50
  • file size is defaulted to 10MB.

ActiveMQ Artemis starts, and I see 2 files are already created under /data/journal. I am now running a request that posts a lot of messages in a very short time. These messages are being actively consumed. I am publishing a lot of messages but they are not accumulating as fast because the consumer is consuming them. However, this doesn't cause the files to grow to recreate the space issue.

As the message volume is going up I don't see the number of files going up. It goes up and stays at 12 files for a long time. I can understand the message # is not sufficient trigger additional files if only the latest journal file is being written to. However, I see all the 11 files have updated timestamps making me think they are being rotated.

My paging directory is empty.

I am trying to understand why the journal is not growing despite the message volume.

1 Answers

From what I can tell, message consumption has reached a break-even point with message production so that messages are not accumulating on the broker therefore the journal is not actually growing in size. The journal files are simply being re-used as messages are being added & acknowledged.

Related