Cosmos DB replication cost

Viewed 148

I want to set up a Cosmos DB account with a single write region and multiple read regions. I also want to use autoscaling RU provisioning, so I only pay for what I use (above the floor).

Now if there is zero load I expect the RU cost to be 400 RU multiplied by region count (since 400 RU is the cost floor for autoscaling).

If I perform a write charged at a specific RU cost that I can see in the response, is that only counted once (against the write region), and then the replication only incurs extra costs for egress and storage? Or will the RU cost be multiplied by the region count behind the scenes?

Similarly for reads, is that RU cost only counted once (against the read region), or is it multiplied by the region count?

Under Metrics (Classic), I see that Avg Throughput/s (RU/s) only changes in the write region when writing, but I'm not sure if this reflects the actual charge.

I felt that this was not answered clearly in: In Cosmos DB, how does geo-replication impact RU consumption of writes?

1 Answers

The throughput that you have configured for various Azure Cosmos databases and containers will be reserved in each of the Azure regions associated with your Azure Cosmos database account. If the sum of provisioned throughput (RU/sec) configured across all the databases and containers within your Azure Cosmos database account (provisioned per hour) is T and the number of Azure regions associated with your database account is N, then the total provisioned throughput for a given hour, for your Azure Cosmos database account is equal to T x N RU/sec.

Provisioned throughput (single write region) costs $0.008/hour per 100 RU/sec and provisioned throughput with multiple writable regions (multi-region writes config) costs $0.016/per hour per 100 RU/sec.

enter image description here

Source: Understand your Azure Cosmos DB bill

Related