If I call valueChanges on a Firestore document that doesn't exist, it returns undefined:
this.afs.doc('bad_document_ref').valueChanges().subscribe(snapshot => {
console.log(snapshot) // undefined
});
But if I call valueChanges on the same bad ref, but I pass in the idField parameter, it returns an object with just the id:
this.afs.doc('bad_document_ref').valueChanges({ idField: 'custom_doc_id' }).subscribe(snapshot => {
console.log(snapshot) // { custom_doc_id: 'bad_document_ref' }
});
I would like for the two above examples to return the same thing. I can do this by adding a pipe:
this.afs.doc('bad_document_ref').valueChanges({ idField: 'custom_doc_id' })
.pipe(map(snapshot => {
if(!snapshot) return undefined;
if (Object.keys(snapshot).length === 1 && Object.keys(snapshot)[0] === 'custom_id_field') {
return undefined;
}
return snapshot;
}))
.subscribe(snapshot => {
console.log(snapshot) // undefined
});
Is there a reason why the first two examples don't return the same thing? It seems like the logical thing to do, for the sake of consistency. Maybe there is a reason I'm not thinking of for why they would return different values?