Given a set of coordinates with worldwide distribution, I would like to plot a polygon (preferably a rectangle) on a worldmap and then extract all the coordinates that fall within these plots. The location of the polygon would be placed manually based on point density but their size has to remain constant.
Here, I provide a minimal reproducible example of points randomly distributed across Europe. I also add an orientative image that hopefully helps to understand the desired output. First, I would like to add the polygon on the map and then extract all points within that area. Thanks for any possible help in advance.
#Load libraries
library(rgdal) #v1.5-28
library(rgeos) #v.0.5-9
library(ggplot2) # 3.3.5
library(rworldmap) #plot worldmap v.1.3-6
library(dplyr) #v.1.0.7
#Create dataframe of coordinates that fall in Europe
coord <- data.frame(cbind(runif(1000,-15,45),runif(1000,30,75)))
colnames(coord) <- c("long","lat")
#Exlude ocean points following this post
#https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/181586/remove-points-which-are-out-of-shapefile-or-raster-extent
URL <- "http://www.naturalearthdata.com/http//www.naturalearthdata.com/download/110m/physical/ne_110m_ocean.zip"
fil <- basename(URL)
if (!file.exists(fil)) download.file(URL, fil)
fils <- unzip(fil)
oceans <- readOGR(grep("shp$", fils, value=TRUE), "ne_110m_ocean",
stringsAsFactors=FALSE, verbose=FALSE)
europe_coord <- data.frame(long = coord$long,
lat = coord$lat)
coordinates(europe_coord) <- ~long+lat
proj4string(europe_coord) <- CRS(proj4string(oceans))
ocean_points <- over(europe_coord, oceans)
#Add ocean points to dataset
coord$ocean <- ocean_points$featurecla
#Exlude ocean points
europe_land <- coord %>% filter(is.na(ocean))
#Load worldmap
world <- map_data("world")
#Plot europe spatial data
ggplot() + geom_map(data = world, map = world,
aes(long, lat, map_id = region), color = "white",
fill = "lightgray", size = 0.1) +
geom_point(data = europe_land,aes(long, lat),
alpha = 0.7, size = 0.05) + ylim(0,70) +
coord_sf(xlim = c(-15, 45), ylim = c(30, 75), expand = FALSE)

