I'm using VS2022 with C# and I'm trying to use an $ajax get method in my JavaScript function. I'm sending a parameter and returning a string[] list but when I receive the return I use JSON.stringify but when I try to use JSON.Parse it fails. The Javascript code is
$.ajax({
type: "GET",
url: '/Home/GetCategories/',
contentType: 'application/json',
datatype: 'json',
data: { ctgData: JSON.stringify(relvalue)}
}).done(function(result) {
let userObj = JSON.stringify(result);
let resultList = JSON.parse(userObj);
});
The code in the controller which returns the list is simple at the moment until I get the return working
[HttpGet]
public ActionResult GetCategories(string ctgData)
{
string[] categoryList = { "Food & Drink", "Sport & Fitness", "Education", "Housework", "Fiction", "Horror Books", "Fantasy", "Magic" };
return Json(new { data = categoryList });
}
The value in result is
{"data":["Food & Drink","Sport & Fitness","Education","Housework","Fiction","Horror Books","Fantasy","Magic"]}
I've tried a number of different ways in Parse but it always fails, can you tell me what I'm missing to get my resultList to contain the string array.