I've been trying to make a request to an IPv6 address using the parseRequest function from Network.HTTP.Client (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/http-client-0.7.10/docs/Network-HTTP-Client.html) package as follows:
request <- parseRequest "http://[2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]"
Instead of parsing it as an address/addrInfo, it is parsed as a hostname and throws the error: does not exist (Name or service not known). As a next step, I tried pointing a domain to the same IPv6 address and then using the domain name in parseRequest, then it successfully resolves that into the IPv6 address and makes the request. Is there some other way I can directly use the IPv6 address to make the request using the http-client package?
PS: I also tried without square brackets around the IP address, in this case the error is Invalid URL:
request <- parseRequest "http://2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334"
More context:
For an IPv4 address, the getAddrInfo function generates the address as:
AddrInfo {addrFlags = [AI_NUMERICHOST], addrFamily = AF_INET, addrSocketType = Stream, addrProtocol = 6, addrAddress = 139.59.90.1:80, addrCanonName = Nothing}
whereas for IPv6 address(inside the square brackets format):
AddrInfo {addrFlags = [AI_ADDRCONFIG], addrFamily = AF_UNSPEC, addrSocketType = Stream, addrProtocol = 6, addrAddress = 0.0.0.0:0, addrCanonName = Nothing}
and the error prints as:
(ConnectionFailure Network.Socket.getAddrInfo (called with preferred socket type/protocol: AddrInfo {addrFlags = [AI_ADDRCONFIG], addrFamily = AF_UNSPEC, addrSocketType = Stream, addrProtocol = 6, addrAddress = 0.0.0.0:0, addrCanonName = Nothing}, host name: Just "[2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]", service name: Just "80"): does not exist (Name or service not known))