My goal is to use this package (https://github.com/tiagodc/TreeLS) but it was deprecated from CRAN (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/TreeLS/index.html). It requires an older version of R yet its dependencies such as the raster package require R 3.5 or up. I considered two approaches.
- using R studio and changing the global options to an older version of R, but I frequently use many geospatial packages and since this package has older dependencies I didn't want to install older versions of packages I use all the time.
- Create a virtual environment in Mini Conda 3 dedicated to use for this package. I choose this option because it would be self contained.
Here is the workflow so far.
conda search -c r r
conda create -n newR351 -c conda-forge r-base=3.5.1 -y
conda install -c r rtools -y
Successfully creates a conda environment called newR351 and installs r tools to that environment folder within mini conda 3.
Location of conda environment with R 3.5.1 install
C:\Users\me\Miniconda3\envs\newR351
When I try to install devtools so I can remote install TreeLS from github I get a warning with zero exit status. The devtools package installs, but it installed to my appdata folder and not my mini conda environment.
conda install -c r devtools -y
The downloaded source packages are in
'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpYByvp8\downloaded_packages'
How can I access devtools on my conda environment newR351? Do I need to build a cran skeleton? When I activate R in this environment and try to load the devtools library I get this.
(newR351) C:\Users\me>R
R version 3.5.1 (2018-07-02) -- "Feather Spray"
Copyright (C) 2018 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
...
>library(devtools)
Error in library(devtools) : there is no package called 'devtools'
What are best practices for creating an environment specific for an older R package? Anyone else use TreeLS?