I'm wanting to effectively trim an already created std::string_view using an iterator that doesn't point to the trimmed characters thanks to std::remove_if(). However, I can't use std::remove_if() on a std::basic_string_view::iterator directly because that's really a std::basic_string_view::const_iterator and std::remove_if() can't take non-moveable iterators as arguments.
The only workaround I've though of is casting the std::string_view to a std::string and then taking the iterator. Here's an example of that:
#include <string>
#include <string_view>
#include <algorithm>
#include <locale>
int main() {
std::string_view foo{"Whitepace...\nThe Final Frontier"};
const auto is_space{
[](const auto& character) {
return std::isspace(character, std::locale{});
}
};
// Doesn't compile
//auto without_conversion{
// std::remove_if(foo.begin(), foo.end(), is_space)
//};
// Works, for the most part.
auto with_conversion{
std::remove_if(std::string{foo}.begin(), std::string{foo}.end(), is_space)
};
But this kinda defeats the whole point of using std::string_view, as a string_view constructed from this iterator wouldn't be viewing the original string.
Is there some (preferably elegant) way to do this while keeping the view on the original string? Perhaps some way to make the string_view iterator non-const?