trouble with utf-8 with julia and jupyterlab

Viewed 259

I'm reading the csv file at https://github.com/VinitaSilaparasetty/julia-beginners/blob/master/data/nba/nba19-20.csv

I get a DataFrame and I save it as XLSX. When I try to read it in jupyterlab I get the error the file is not UTF-8 encoded and therefore the file is not read.

This is my code:

using HTTP, XLSX, CSV, DataFrames
df = CSV.read(HTTP.get("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/VinitaSilaparasetty/julia-beginners/master/data/nba/nba19-20.csv").body)
# first(df,5) # first shows the top five rows ok
XLSX.writetable("data/nba/nba19-20.XLSX", collect(eachcol(df)), names(df), overwrite = true)

The file is saved in my data folder. When I try to open it with jupyterlab, I get a pop up with the file is not UTF-8 encoded and the file is not opened. When I try to open the file in Ubuntu (with LibreOffice) I do not see anything suspicious.

As I'm new to Julia I'm struggling to understand where the problem lies or how to fix it.

I tried to see if I could encode the dataframe in UTF-8 (after saving the file to disk) with

data = DataFrame(CSV.File(open(read,"data/nba/nba19-20.csv", enc"utf-8")))

But I did not see any change. Any suggestion is welcome.

1 Answers
Related