I am a little confused as to whats happened to my branches.
The process I have been following for a release are:
Create release branch off of develop when ready for release.
Test release branch
Any bugs that are fixed during this time are merged into the release branch and into develop
When release is ready I merge the release branch into master. At this point master has everything for the release and everything that is in develop apart from any new features added after the release branch was made.
However, any time I want to merge release into master I got a plethora of conflicts. But I thought that merging into master would just overwrite anything in master since these are the latest changes.
So I had to take all changes from the release branch OVER the conflict from the master branch to finish the merge.
Now any time I change a file in develop and then try merge into master I get a conflict. Its like the master branch doesn't realise that the code in develop came after or something.
How can I fix this?
In dev ops it states that my master branch is 100 commits behind develop (which is correct as there have been changes since that release) but that it is 2 ahead of develop. The two commits ahead of develop are the merge commits from the release branches into master. Do I need to merge master into develop so develop has those to commits even though there would be no file changes?