How to modify existing prometheus operator helm install?

Viewed 297

I've installed Prometheus operator using helm and noticed that there is no PVC attached. I want to edit the installation to use a PVC to persist metrics. Per docs, I should do the following, however it's still unclear to me how/where I can set this? I've already created PVs on the node local disks, and a default storage class to use those.

Do I just kubectl apply that yaml? How? Why would that work?

Sorry for the basic question but just can't wrap my head around how to edit kubernetes operator configurations.

Source.

1 Answers

As you can read here:

A common question from new users is if they need to restart Prometheus every time they change the configuration. The good news is that you don't, allowing your monitoring to continue uninterrupted as your system changes.

You have two ways to pickup the new config in Prometheus.

First one is an manual method. You need to send POST request to the Prometheus web server:

curl -X POST http://localhost:9090/-/reload

Second one is automation this process (example). You need to have a sidecar in the same prometheus container that monitors config file's updates and reloads the POST request.

See also:

Related