I have an app with a BottomNavigationBar and an IndexedStack which shows the tab content. Each tab has its own Router with its own RouterDelegate to mimic iOS-style tab behavior (where each tab has its own navigation controller).
Before, this app was only published on iOS. I'm now working on the Android version and need to correctly support the Android hardware back button. I did this by implementing a ChildBackButtonDispatchers per tab, which are a child of the parent RootBackButtonDispatcher. This works.
The issue I'm having now is that I use WillPopScope widgets to save a user's input when they leave a screen. This works correctly if the user taps the back button in the AppBar, but the callback isn't triggered when the user taps the hardware back button. I implemented BackButtonListeners on these screens as well, but this means I have to wrap the screens in both WillPopScopes and BackButtonListeners, both calling the same callback.
It this how it's supposed to be, or am I doing something wrong?
Relevant widget hierarchy:
MaterialAppNavigator- tab interface with
IndexedStack - the selected tab Widget the tab's
Router Navigator- multiple pages, with on the last page in the stack...
BackButtonListenerWillPopScopeScaffold
My (simplified) router delegate looks like this:
class AppRouterDelegate extends RouterDelegate<AppRoute>
with ChangeNotifier, PopNavigatorRouterDelegateMixin<AppRoute> {
AppRouterDelegate({
List<MaterialPage> initialPages = const [],
}) : _pages = initialPages;
final navigatorKey = GlobalKey<NavigatorState>();
final List<MaterialPage> _pages;
List<MaterialPage> get pages => List.unmodifiable(_pages);
void push(AppRoute route) {
final shouldAddPage = _pages.isEmpty || (_pages.last.arguments as AppRoute != route);
if (!shouldAddPage) {
return;
}
_pages.add(route.page);
notifyListeners();
}
@override
Future<void> setNewRoutePath(AppRoute route) async {
_pages.clear();
_pages.add(route.page);
notifyListeners();
return SynchronousFuture(null);
}
@override
Future<bool> popRoute() {
if (canPop) {
pop();
return SynchronousFuture(true);
}
return SynchronousFuture(false);
}
bool get canPop => _pages.length > 1;
void pop() {
if (canPop) {
_pages.remove(_pages.last);
notifyListeners();
}
}
void popTillRoot() {
while (canPop) {
_pages.remove(_pages.last);
}
notifyListeners();
}
bool _onPopPage(Route<dynamic> route, result) {
final didPop = route.didPop(result);
if (!didPop) {
return false;
}
if (canPop) {
pop();
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
}
@override
Widget build(BuildContext context) {
return Navigator(
key: navigatorKey,
onPopPage: _onPopPage,
pages: pages,
);
}
}
I found this Flutter issue which makes me think I shouldn't have the WillPopScope at all, but without it the taps in the AppBar are not caught...