I am currently designing a Microservices-Approach for my company (Logistic Company). Right now we have a monolithic system with a single relational database.
I understand the approach of Microservices of having separate databases. Unfortunately I do not understand how to manage data that is needed in different services. I.e. there is data about geo-hierarchy that is needed in invoicing, booking, path-finding and so on. It describes the hierarchy of any place in the world (I.e. There is a town located in a county located in a state located in a country located in a continent). In my opinion this data does not belong to any of those mentioned services but is required by any of those.
How can I deal with this kind of data?
One solution I can imagine is an own Microservice for this data, but this would not align with the Domain-Driven Design-Idea of having Services split by functionality and not by service.
Can anyone help me?