Thanks in advance, I've researched exhaustively and cannot fix this issue after 5 days.
I am attempting to install Ubuntu as a Windows distro on top of WSL-2 Kernel. Here are the steps I take:
- I download the Linux Kernel Update package from this URL -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual#step-4---download-the-linux-kernel-update-package
- I turn on Windows features "Windows subsystem for Linux"; "Virtual Machine Platform"
- I restart machine and also ensure virtualization is enabled within my BIOS
- I install Ubuntu from Microsoft Store. (I've tried 3 different versions of Ubuntu).
- I run Ubuntu as an Administrator
When I run Ubuntu as Admin, I always get this below error:
"ubuntu wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x80041002"
I have scoured the net for fixes, but there is little on this error that doesn't simply pertain to a Windows update. The ONLY action that has resolved this is setting the wsl --set-default-version to "1" as the default is 2. When I downgrade to wsl-1, Ubuntu launches fine.
However, from my research and experience, I cannot run Docker Desktop using wsl-1 as it requires version 2.
When I run Ubuntu with wsl-1 and then type command "wsl -l -v", it does indeed say the following:
NAME STATE VERSION
* Ubuntu Running 1
I believe the Docker portion should be separated from the above-mentioned issue with Ubuntu/wsl, however, as my goal is to simply run the Docker Engine in DD, I'll include the below information as well with regards to Docker Desktop:
I am attempting to run Docker Desktop on Windows 11 Enterprise. Docker engine always fails to start and I believe the issue lies with WSL/Ubuntu as described above as I cannot run Ubuntu with wsl-2. Sometimes, Docker Desktop will not launch at all, and instead displays the below error message, prompting me to reset to factory defaults; but I know my issue is with WSL:
System.InvalidOperationException:
Failed to deploy distro docker-desktop to C:\Users\v-kescul\AppData\Local\Docker\wsl\distro: exit code: -1
stdout: Error: 0x80041002
Any help would be appreciated as we really need get Docker running on the new Windows 11 machines so we can dockerize our Spring Cloud environments into a Linux based AWS EC2 instance.. thank you!