I'm just learning Java and could use your help. I'm using Eclipse, and created a Maven project using the org.openjfx archetype. Everything seems to work fine except when I try to write tests in src/test/java, which causes an error.
An error occurred while instantiating class starcraft.warcraft.test.TestClass: Unable to make public starcraft.warcraft.test.TestClass() accessible: module starcraft.warcraft does not "exports starcraft.warcraft.test" to module org.testng
This is how I created the project with default settings in Eclipse:
Project Setup with Maven Archetype Selection
Now, when Eclipse creates the project, it doesn't have a src/test/java folder, so I create that manually. Then I create a class called "TestClass" inside a package "starcraft.warcraft.test" inside src/test/java, and I add a simple method to test inside the App class called "adder". You can see the project structure
package starcraft.warcraft;
import javafx.application.Application;
import javafx.scene.Scene;
import javafx.scene.control.Label;
import javafx.scene.layout.StackPane;
import javafx.stage.Stage;
public class App extends Application {
@Override
public void start(Stage stage) {
var javaVersion = SystemInfo.javaVersion();
var javafxVersion = SystemInfo.javafxVersion();
var label = new Label("Hello, JavaFX " + javafxVersion + ", running on Java " + javaVersion + ".");
var scene = new Scene(new StackPane(label), 640, 480);
stage.setScene(scene);
stage.show();
}
// WILL TEST THIS METHOD
public static int adder(int digit1, int digit2) {
return digit1 + digit2;
}
public static void main(String[] args) {
launch();
}
}
Now I want to use TestNG for the tests, and so I include it in my POM which is
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>starcraft</groupId>
<artifactId>warcraft</artifactId>
<version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
<properties>
<project.build.sourceEncoding>UTF-8</project.build.sourceEncoding>
<maven.compiler.source>11</maven.compiler.source>
<maven.compiler.target>11</maven.compiler.target>
</properties>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.openjfx</groupId>
<artifactId>javafx-controls</artifactId>
<version>13</version>
</dependency>
<!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.testng/testng -->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.testng</groupId>
<artifactId>testng</artifactId>
<version>7.5</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
<version>3.8.0</version>
<configuration>
<release>11</release>
</configuration>
</plugin>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.openjfx</groupId>
<artifactId>javafx-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>0.0.6</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<!-- Default configuration for running -->
<!-- Usage: mvn clean javafx:run -->
<id>default-cli</id>
<configuration>
<mainClass>starcraft.warcraft.App</mainClass>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
</project>
This is the default POM created by the Maven archetype except for the TestNG dependency I added. When I try to use TestNG, Eclipse makes me add it to the module path like so:
Maven saying I need to add the TestNG library
And here is my module-info:
module starcraft.warcraft {
requires javafx.controls;
requires org.testng;
exports starcraft.warcraft;
}
OK, all good so far, but now when I try to run my test inside TestClass:
package starcraft.warcraft.test;
import org.testng.annotations.Test;
import starcraft.warcraft.App;
public class TestClass {
@Test
public void testAdder() {
int sum = App.adder(1, 2);
System.out.println(sum);
}
}
I get the error, which again is
An error occurred while instantiating class starcraft.warcraft.test.TestClass: Unable to make public starcraft.warcraft.test.TestClass() accessible: module starcraft.warcraft does not "exports starcraft.warcraft.test" to module org.testng
I can't figure out how to do the export. When I try making the entry in module-info, it doesn't give me the option of adding the package in src/test/java, the only packages it allows me to choose from are in src/main/java.
I don't understand modules well. How can I get the program to let me run tests from src/test/java?