I am trying to assign different colors to each line using background-image: repeating-linear-gradient.
div {
--spac: 2em;
line-height: var(--spac);
color: white;
background-image: repeating-linear-gradient(red 0 var(--spac), green var(--spac) calc(var(--spac) * 2));
}
<div>Stack Overflow is a question and answer website for professional and enthusiast programmers. It is the flagship site of the Stack Exchange Network,[4][5][6] created in 2008 by Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky.[7][8] It features questions and answers on a
wide range of topics in computer programming.[9][10][11] It was created to be a more open alternative to earlier question and answer websites such as Experts-Exchange. Stack Overflow was sold to Prosus, a Netherlands-based consumer internet conglomerate,
on 2 June 2021 for $1.8 billion.[12]</div>
It works fine, but I just wonder if there are any ways I could make the div area that doesn't have text to become transparent (make the area in the photo circle with black to become transparent).
Another solution I could think of is to split the text based on line break and assign different colors to different lines using for loop, but this is too messy.
I think for background-image: repeating-linear-gradient, there won't be some easy solutions since background-image: repeating-linear-gradient assign the background-color based on the width of the element, not the text. (If there is, please correct me and tell me!)
What will be alternative solutions to solve this?
