Google Cloud (Firebase) Functions SLOWER when setting higher minimum instances

Viewed 235

I have a nodeJS/NextJS application that I have currently running via a firebase function.

I recently tried to, via the Google Cloud Console, set the minimum instances value to 25 in an attempt to avoid the cold starts (30+s sometimes!) that we've been seeing.

To my surprise, I'm still seeing a lot of cold starts, and they even seem to take longer when I do hit a cold start request. This is even while I'm looking at the Metrics Explorer for this function showing 23 idle instances and just 2 "active" instances..

enter image description here

When I click "deploy" in the Google Cloud Console to increase he minimum instances, as you can see the Execution time for the that function shoots through the roof..

At around 2pm I bumped the minimum instances from 25 -> 35..

enter image description here

What gives? Anyone else seeing this?

0 Answers
Related