I would say, before you attempt to claim that there is a problem with your output, you should consider posting a properly complete commandline.
This has imbalanced doublequotes:
powershell -Command "& {(Get-Item (Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe').'(Default)').VersionInfo.ProductVersion } > chromever.txt
Had you actually included the missing doublequote, and done so in the correct location, you wouldn't have received output from PowerShell in Unicode (UTF-16 LE).
Incorrect Location:
powershell -Command "& {(Get-Item (Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe').'(Default)').VersionInfo.ProductVersion } > chromever.txt"
Had you placed it correctly, the output would have been in ANSI:
Correct Location:
powershell -Command "& {(Get-Item (Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe').'(Default)').VersionInfo.ProductVersion }" > chromever.txt
Essentially because you've missed that doublequote off, it was effectively closed at the end of the line, (the redirection > was being done in PowerShell). Hence your result was returned in UTF-16 LE, instead of the required ANSI encoding ,(when the redirection is done in cmd.exe).
Personally however, I'd have done it like this:
@%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -Command "(Get-Item $(Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe').'(Default)').VersionInfo.ProductVersion" 1>"chromever.txt"
@Set /P "version=" 0<"chromever.txt"
@Echo(%version%
And If I didn't actually need the text file:
@For /F %%G In ('%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -Command "(Get-Item $(Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\chrome.exe').'(Default)').VersionInfo.ProductVersion" 2^>NUL') Do @Set "version=%%G"
@Echo(%version%