tl;dr
Use an installer for Intel Macs rather than Apple Silicon Macs.
Obtain installer for Macs with Intel chips
Certainly Java 17 will run on your computer.
I am not sure, but I would make this guess as to the root of your problem… I suspect you downloaded an installer for the Apple Silicon Macs, rather than for Macs with Intel chips.
Go to any of the several vendors providing JDK products. Some are free-of-cost, some require a fee. Be sure to understand their terms before downloading.
Those vendors include, off the top of my head: Azul Systems, Adoptium (formerly AdoptOpenJDK), BellSoft, Amazon, Red Hat/IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Pivotal, and likely more.
On their respective download page, be sure to opt for the edition labeled "Intel", "x86", "AMD-64", or some such to indicate Macs with Intel chips.
Do not download any edition labeled "Apple Silicon", "ARM", or "AArch-64", as these indicate the Macs with M1 chips.
Here is an example screenshot from Adoptium web site for their Temurin product, an installer of a JDK implementing Java 17 based on the source code at the OpenJDK project.
