I'm trying to encrypt a file that will be decrypted and deployed on a debian 11 server that I don't have access to. But every time I encrypt it. It doesn't work on different machine.
Encryption
openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -md sha512 -k *PASSWORD* -pbkdf2 -iter *NUMBERS* -salt -in *INPUT_FILE* -out *OUTPUT FILE*
Decryption
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -md sha512 -k *PASSWORD* -pbkdf2 -iter *NUMBERS* -salt -in *INPUT_FILE* -out *OUTPUT FILE*
But every time I tried to decrypt it from a different machine it doens't work. Everytime and everywhere it always return
bad decrypt
*different_number_each_run*:error:06065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad decrypt:crypto\evp\evp_enc.c:610:
I could only decrypt it on the machine that encrypt it. All that doesn't work that I have tried are
- Encrypted with openssl 3.0.1 on windows (on my laptop), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (Deployment Server)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1m on windows (on my laptop), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (Deployment Server)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1m on windows (on my laptop), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1m on windows (on my laptop)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (Deployment Server)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server B), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (Deployment Server)
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server B), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1m on windows (on my laptop)
The only thing that always works if it's the same for example
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A)
And there's one weird exception that works
- Encrypted with openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server B), decrypted with openssl 1.1.1d on debian 10 (on my laptop with wsl to a remote server A)
The most important part is at the end it should be decryptable on openssl 1.1.1k on debian 11 (Deployment Server)