Can't install VS Code extension

Viewed 772

I am unable to install extensions for VS Code. It worked, than stopped working. I examined the network tab in developer tools from command pallete -> shared process, no errors. I am behind a firewall and proxy at work, but manually installing should work nonetheless.

In install.log I find "One or more extensions are for Visual Studio Code. Try installing them in Visual Studio Code." That is excactly what I have been trying, it seems that VSIX can't understand that this extension is indeed meant for VS Code. Tried many different extensions.

Update after running suggestion from answer: Seems there is a compability issue, just wish this had been shown in the IDE directly.

enter image description here

13.01.2022 10:25:01 - Searching for applicable products...
13.01.2022 10:25:01 - Found installed product - Global Location
13.01.2022 10:25:01 - Found installed product - Visual Studio Enterprise 2019
13.01.2022 10:25:01 - Found installed product - Visual Studio Professional 2022
13.01.2022 10:25:01 - VSIXInstaller.NoApplicableSKUsException: One or more extensions are for Visual Studio Code. Try installing them in Visual Studio Code.
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionService.GetInstallableDataImpl(IInstallableExtension extension, String extensionPackParentName, Boolean isRepairSupported, IStateData stateData, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionService.GetInstallableData(String vsixPath, String extensionPackParentName, Boolean isRepairSupported, IStateData stateData, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionPackService.IsExtensionPack(IStateData stateData, Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionPackService.ExpandExtensionPackToInstall(IStateData stateData, Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize(Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)
2 Answers

You can try to open the .vsix extention file with vscode itself. Or you can run the command below from cmd with the correct path

code --install-extension <path\to\extention>

Documentation here: https://vscode-docs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/extensions/install-extension/

I'm not sure what are you using for install, but that's trying to install the vscode extention to Visual Studio Professional 2022 and Visual Studio Enterprise 2019. Keep in mind the Visual Studio is not the same as Visual Studio Code.

The solution below is TESTED and it is WORKING

Open your Connection Settings Double-click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” Check the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option, and write Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4), as follows:

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8 Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4.4

please go this site and get complete guide to fix this issue. hope this is helpful for you. https://www.elharony.com/failed-to-install-this-extension-vscode/

Related